Last week was PTO for me. No trips planned, just a little time off to relax, maybe get a few things done around the house. At least that was the plan.
The reality is that I worked my butt off every day from Saturday morning the previous weekend to Sunday evening this past weekend. There were a few days where I started working after morning coffee (about 8:30) and didn’t stop until it was nearly dark. It seems we had plenty of chores that needed done around the house, more than I realized, and unfortunately there is still plenty more waiting for me.
Here is an abbreviated list of some of the chores I tackled last week:
- pulled two french doors from our foyer, primed and painted the doors and casings, reinstalled the doors. This is not as easy as it sounds because they are 15-pane glass doors - a real PITA to paint.
- primed, painted, cut, and installed door casing trim and baseboard for the foyer
- about 5 trips to Lowe’s in 7 days
- sanded, primed, sanded, primed, painted - various exterior trim work (like garage door trim)
- primed and painted a couple of interior walls
- our AC unit was leaking in the basement, we can’t have that because we recently finished the basement and any flooding will create wet carpets and pad - not good. The on-call HVAC guy walked me through opening up the access panel and telling me things to look for. Turned out to be just a bunch of gunk clogging the drain line causing the catch pan to not be able to drain and eventually overflow.
- The finishing of the basement included the addition of a full bath. We’ve been having problems with water flow in the sink, toilet and tub since it was installed. Turns out it was just some major blockage - probably some trash leftover from the initial construction. We had RotoRooter out twice to snake it last week. Seems to be fixed now.
- The biggest job by far was cleaning, power washing, staining and sealing the decks. I spent the better part of two days on that alone.
- There’s probably a dozen other small tasks that I have forgotten by now.
Whew, it’s nice to be back to work!